View Single Post
Old 08-12-17, 03:39 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Thursday I did a climbing ride on the TT bike, met up with a friend and had some coffee post ride. Felt pretty good on the TT bike yet again.

I was starting to plan my Sat ride- 3 hours on the MTB on my schedule. Hmm- something local, which would mean hot and steep and exposed and washed out and sandy. Or do I drive up to Mt Pinos, 45 min north, which has one long trail with cooler shady conditions and a little altitude. But the upper part is steep and would be difficult for me, I'm told. Maybe ride the lower section, the Jump Trail, multiple times?

No luck trying to drum people up to ride at Pinos. I started considering driving 2.5 hours up to Big Bear just to have a nice ride...

Then Fri, I was scheduled off the bike and decided to meet the Friday ride at the coffee shop for a latte. My friends who bought the cabin up in Big Bear flew home from a cycling trip to Montana the night before, so they skipped the ride too and just came for coffee.

Next thing I know, we're all heading up to Big Bear to ride on Sat.

So... 17 miles and 2000 ft climbing for me up in Big Bear. 90% single track, some of which pushed my limits. But it's all getting better. Totally beautiful ride yet again, pine trees, shade and relatively cool temps. Just reasonably steep. Technical but not unrelentingly or unreasonably. Totally sweet.