Old 08-13-17, 01:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
In full agreement

In general agreement, but traffic law consists of various sets/subsets. The general set applies to all, e.g. drive on the right/left, depending on which country you're in; obey traffic signals and other signs within the law (Idaho right for cyclists to ignore signals, where safe, is a cyclist subset within Idaho) and all users can then be reasonably certain of how others will behave (inc. Idaho) assuming reasonable law-abiding behaviour on everyone's part.....
I basically agree, but live by the "no harm, no foul" rule.

For example, if I come to a red light and there's no traffic on the road, the only purpose served by waiting is adhering to the law and avoiding a possible fine. OTOH - if I proceed through, there's no harm to any other party and I'm like the tree falling in a forest with nobody to hear.

So, while man's laws provide a framework, I don't feel compelled to follow them when there's no other factor at play.

Every once I enjoy a comical moment when I'll pull up alongside a police car waiting at a red light. The officer will roll down the window and ask me why I'm waiting. (they've all seen me not waiting on a fairly regular basis).

So, thinking of NYC where the police periodically go on a bicycle enforcement binge, I have no objection at all if they cite bicyclists who speed through lights and/or crossing pedestrians. But I don't think any purpose is served when they cite bicyclists who slowly and safely proceed against the light through an empty intersection. Likewise I don't agree with citing bicyclists who slow but don't come to a full "toe down" stop at stop signs.

As I said, No harm, (should be) no foul.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.