Old 12-31-05, 02:42 AM
Agent B

Bikes: Gary Fisher Katai, Giant Reign 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay been lazy and bad weather, but yesterday I decided to redo the derailer. First of all lossened cable clamp and then derailer. adjusted derailer height and made parallel. Then I had a problem that the derailer would not reach the biggest chainring, I thought this was weird as it used to reach it. Anyway took crankset off and was checking chainline it is set at 49mm, then found out the inner faceplate on the derailer was catching on the middle chainring, therefore it would not reach biggest chainring. Lifted derailer to clear. and tested, same problem as before. Tried lifting derailer higher so that the flange on the outer faceplate missed the chain when it is on the middle chainring. would shift up perfectly but would not shift down from middle to smallest chainring decided to move derailer down so the where the flange tapers off caught the chain when it is on the middle chainring. So far this seems to have done the trick. I need to do more testing, but it was raining when I was doing all this and had just about enough. Also found out the Giants support bar on the rear suspension triangle gets in the way of me loosening and tightening the derailer cable clamp so I need to get a balljoint allen key for this now. when I have done all this once again I will let you know. I also found that it will be impossible to use the jump stop or third eye chain watcher, the AJ frame guard will possibly work, or I might have just enough room to place another ring just on the inside of the crankset to stop the chain from jumping as Screwloose suggested. Posted some picks so you can see what I mean.

Brendan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mini-2005_12_31_10.18.13.JPG (75.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
mini-2005_12_31_10.18.40.JPG (53.6 KB, 22 views)