Old 09-09-17, 05:00 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by landrybrad
If I can't find legit campsites, and don't want to stay in a hotel...any advice about how to find a place to camp while in small towns or in the middle of nowhere?
It sounds like your plans involve using Adventure Cycling routes. They generally have enough places to stay listed on the maps that you don't really need to improvise much.

Here in Texas, at least, there is very little public land....barbed wire around EVERYTHING. When you all set out on tours, do you have all your campsites planned in advance, or wing it? Any camping advice is welcome! Thanks!
I rode the ST including going across TX and found it easy to find places to camp there. I never plan ahead much and more often than not decide where to stop when I get there. I used the places listed on the AC maps a good bit of the time and improvised the rest. A number of times I slept in places that were not really campsites, but maybe since I didn't pitch a tent no one bothered me at roadside picnic areas or even when I slept in a dark corner of the Marfa Mystery Lights viewing station. Big trucks came and went all night long in the picnic areas, but I sleep well enough with a little noise.