View Single Post
Old 04-02-03, 06:15 PM
moabrider47
I ride a REAL Schwinn!

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City (stock), '00 Schwinn Moab 3 (very upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got to be careful about review sites like mtbr. Like Maelstrom said, some people have one bad experience and slam the product. Others vary in weight and riding style, offering up wildly differing opinions. And finally, many of the reviewers install the equipment themselves - and do it incorrectly. When something snaps or something won't shift correctly, its automaticall Shimano or SRAM's fault - when its really the knucklehead who installed the derrailleur but didn't do any adjusting at all. I read reveiws at mtbr.com when I am about to make a big purchase. It is one of the only places (Other than Bikeforums) where one can get tons of reveiws of a product. If the majority of the reviews are terrible, maybe I'll think about it or try it out more first. If the average rating is brought down by a few people who claim that their derrailleur didn't shift right out of the box when the put it on the bike (duh..) then I feel more secure with the overall opinion. I will often use a place like bikeforums before buying expensive items like wheels or bikes because I can tell from the posts that most of the members are serious about biking and will give reasonable opinions.

-Moab