View Single Post
Old 01-03-06, 06:18 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to tour in Amish country all the time - beautiful people, and I loved buying foodstuffs from them because they made them so delicious.

Some Amish use bikes, but they don't let their kids use them. Most others are patently against them, apparently (I wasn't aware of this at the time of writing this post. I just looked it up in one of my Amish history books, and bicycles were banned by the Amish in the 1890s. There are different orders though, with different rules). The Southern NY Amish loved that I was travelling with full camping and touring gear on my bike. I got words and nods of approval from them all the time, which was frankly heartwarming.

Little by little though, the world is forcing them to comply with modernity in ways they couldn't have predicted. Hospital bills in particular tend to eat up what little money they have. Careful of confusing the Amish with similarly austere-looking Mennonites though: I've seen Mennonites in Letchworth State Park roll up in a gigantor RV and proceed to eat Frosted Flakes by my favorite overlook there, and then drive the gas chuffer right back out again.

Last edited by Alekhine; 01-03-06 at 06:41 AM.