View Single Post
Old 01-04-06, 09:07 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Component Group Recommendations

I need help selecting a group for my new bike build. Bike is Mercian King of Mercia new made with Reynolds 531.

The bike will be used for credit card touring at best - 95% of the rides are weekend group rides of 30-70 miles with occasional century rides.

So, I don't need an all-out fully loaded touring set-up. I have some medical problems so I do benefit from llower gear ratios - I'd like to get down to a 32 in the rear if possible and probably stay with just a 30 up front for granny gears - a triple like that should be sufficient.

I'd like to use Campy Record Index shifting and use Record Ergo brifters if possible because I like them and they can be repaired.

Rear is 130 spacing. Campy drop outs. Chorus threaded headset with Nitto Noodle bars and Nitto stem.

I''l use Mavic Open Pro Wheels. 700 with 23 tires

Front derailleur must be a 28.6 clamp-on.

So - what are your specific buying recommendations given the above criteria for the following purchases:

front der
rear der
cassette
bb
crankset and chainrings
chain
brakes (typical allen bolt type - normal road bike brakes that will work with the Campy record brifters - if the brifters will work with the other components).

I need these components to be compatible with each other. My major problems so far in locating components are parts compatibility, front derailleur clamp-on 28.6 mm diameter that's works with a triple set and 10 in the rear (will a triple derailleur work with a 9 or 10 speed config), and chainrings.

In making your recommendations, keep in mind I need to go out and buy the group, so if you have a favorite bike that's several years old, well, letting me know why you like your set-up may be good reading but may not help me build my bike. I need practical specific buying advice for a set of components meeting my criteria that will really work together that I can take to an on-line bike e-tailer and order in the next two weeks and receive in short order (get bike built by Feb 1).

Thanks - ands HAPPY NEW YEAR