View Single Post
Old 01-05-06, 09:42 AM
mickster
spinlikehell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Continental and Vittoria Mastik clear glues exclusively for the track and have had no problems with them. IME traditional hard setting track glues - like Shellac - are hard to find over here in the UK and as a result most trackies I know use regular 'clear' glues like Conti, Vittoria and tubasti without any problems.
I think that more important than which glue is used is how well the tubs are glued to the rim; no glue - traditional or not - is going to make up for a poorly glued tub.

These wheels are being used on a number of tracks in the UK, indoors and out, with lengths and bankings varying from 400m/26 deg to 143m/46deg. Races a mixture of endurance and srpints, though I'm no match sprinter.

Stretch the tyre on a rim first. Clean yr rim with acetone. Build the glue up on a new rim in thin layers - I usually put 3 layers on new rims, and 2 on the tub tape. Allow to cure for preferably 24hrs+ before using.
The site below has links to some research comparing the strength of various different tub glues - it also repeats the tests for the same glue/tyres on carbon vs aluminium rims. The bottom line is that Conti glue was best on alloy rims, Vittoria on carbon: http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/index.html

I'm considering trying the Tufo Extreme tub tape, as this is claimed to be suitable for track use and looks top be less hassle than using glue. Has anyone here had any experience of this tape? If so, please share (eg what rim type, what tyre, what sort of track etc).

Cheers!

mickster