Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by lillypad
Cooker,

You failed to mention what type of high school teacher I am (not English or social studies). If you are worried about breaking paragraphs in the correct places (and other English, compositon, and spelling problems) then you need to start reading every entry and correcting the poster's mistakes.

Also, you failed to mention your credentials and your source for determining my occupation.

-Lillypad
Greetings.

Believe me, I have no interest in policing grammar or style on Bikeforums - I'll leave that to Raiyn et al. I commented on your lack of paragraph breaks, not to be a pedant, but because I found your post very informative, but extremely hard to read, all bunched into one big block.

I know (now) that you're a high school teacher because you said so in another thread, but what you teach is not relevant, except in a very general way (science) so I didn't mention it in my recent post. Some English teachers are likely very well informed about health and nutrition too.

As for asking for your credentials and disclaimer in an earlier post, you were giving such highly informed and specific advice that I thought you might be a health professional, in which case, you should have stated your credentials and included a disclaimer, to protect yourself from liability. Since you're not a health professional, that doesn't apply. I hope you didn't think I was implying that only certified experts should give opinions on bikeforums...I certainly don't believe that.

Originally Posted by lillypad
I hope that I broke this entry to your satisfaction and you can check my spelling. It is all correct.
I took that comment as a friendly challenge, and here's my response: Were I indeed a pedant and an English teacher, I might criticize your use of the singular possessive in the phrase "poster's mistakes", since it relates to the earlier phrase "every entry" and thus implies multiple posters - so "posters' mistakes" would be more correct. However, I'm neither a pedant nor an English teacher...I'm a psychiatrist.

Oops - better fix that spellchecker: "compositon"?

Best wishes.

Robert

Last edited by cooker; 01-05-06 at 10:07 PM.