View Single Post
Old 01-05-06, 11:25 PM
LT Intolerant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Mag - CTS Workout Inconsistency

In this month's edition of Bicycle Magazine (Jan/Feb 2006) CTS coaches lay out six, 12-week programs to improve your riding. Here's my question/issue. One of the programs ("Climb Like Pro") prescribes Climbing Repeats (CR) one day a week.

In the magazine a CR is an 8-15 minute effort performed on a steady climb at 78-83% of MHR, and a cadence of 70-85 RPMs. But in Carmichael's book, the Ultimate Ride, a CR is an 8-20 minute effort performed at 92% of Field Test Heartrate + 4 beats, and a cadence of 70-85 RPMs.

The difference in the intensity of these workouts is significant. For someone like me, with a max heartrate of 180, and a 20 min TT heartrate of 167, the CR's performed based based on the Bike Mag article would be performed between 140-149 BPM, while the Ultimate ride CRs would be performed between 153-157.

I find this kind of misinformation confusing at best, and disingenous at worst. OK, I know you cycnics are saying, what do I expect for $ 5 (B Mag newstand rate), or $ 25 (cost of the book), but if CTS is going to release their "intellectual property" they should at least be consistent.

Are there any CTS coaches or CTS-coached athletes that can set the record straight? Thanks.

Signed,

Stupified in Santa Barbara