View Single Post
Old 01-06-06, 11:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcrank
Will be looking forward to the pics, jppe. Sounds like a real rocket. What distance TT's are you looking into doing?

The TT's are 10 miles or 7 laps around the track at Lowes Motor Speedway. I work with the Board and we're already making plans for this year's events. The events have become so popular we sold out every starting slot we had except for a few in the first one----and we have around 225 slots per event. We even have folks that drive in from Georgia just to do the events.

We're looking at going with a different timing system and possibly have 2 starting lines instead of just one to make sure everyone that would like to participate gets the opportunity. We're also considering expanding the categories to include more team time trials and possibly "mixed groups" like male/female teams. We're continuing to look for ways to make it one of the premiere cycling events on the East Coast.

While it is a lot of work the participants do not see, I've thoroughly enjoyed assisting with it have met some really fine folks along the way. By the way, if you look at the web site below, the fellow's picture at the top of the home page is Humpy Wheeler that some might recognize as the President of Lowes Motor Speedway who happens to be a very avid cyclist. Without Humpy we would not have the event.....

I've probably mentioned it before but we now have Bobby Labonte (Nascar driver with Texas connection with L Armstrong) hooked and participating when he can.

Here's a link to the web site we've created. Note: look at the times for the folks in the 50-55 age group. Their just as fast as the guys in the 40's!!!

http://carolinatt.org/v2/