View Single Post
Old 01-07-06, 09:59 AM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi iBarna!

Two quotes I'm fond of:

"Success isn't defined by the things you have.
It's defined by the things you don't need."

"It is desirable that a man be clad so simply...and that he live in all respects so compactly and preparedly
that, if an enemy take the town, he can, like the old philosopher, walk out the gate empty-handed without anxiety."

As recently as 2004, I was living a rampant-consumer-based life. A number of events - 18-hour workdays, a failed relationship, failing health and the closing of my company - contributed to my reevaluating that lifestyle.

I live very simply these days. I might go out for food once every few months but prefer to cook for myself. I watch TV but try to limit it Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill and PBS/Nature/Discovery/Travel type stuff. (roommate has cable and the TV so I can't get rid of it completely)

My laptop is both a working tool and entertainment center (hp 17" widescreen - great for DVDs and it replaces a desktop computer). My futon is both a couch & bed.

I can't say all of my worldly possesions would fit in one box but certainly they'd fit in a small room or do a good job furnishing a bachelor pad.

All of the things said in this thread hit home with me.
My possesions used to own me. Now, I find comfort in stopping along my bike rides and watching the real world unfold. The things I keep in my home are out of convenience - tools, books etc - not from a desire to "collect" things.

Ultimately, my goal is find a steady "job" - I live on contract work - pay off one remaining student loan and "drop out" - touring by bike much like this fellow did: http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/photographs.php

Thanks for posting. It was a reminder to me that people are more important than things. "Love people and use things, don't use people and love things" perhaps?

CJ

Last edited by af895; 01-07-06 at 10:30 AM.