View Single Post
Old 01-07-06, 11:20 AM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding a different wheel diameter than you but use Marathons. (standard, not "Slick, XR, Plus" etc)

I've hopped off the road and gone across parks, packed clay and gravel tracks, bit of forest trail. If your riding is biased toward road, I'd recommend the Marathons and just lower the pressure a bit when you go off-road.

I wouldn't recommend this but I've ridden over broken glass, sharp rocks and scrap metal with regular Marathons too and they just kept on going. (I'm 230lbs so they weren't being given an easy ride)

The Marathon Plus has a built in liner - it's pegged as an urban tire as it'll absorb a thumbtack without puncture. It's not billed as a touring tire as that liner increases RR a lot. (I'm told)

The XR has a kevlar liner that's supposed to repel thorns - a true expedition tire for ROUGH areas. I might ride one IF I were going into an area with a lot of thorns. (Texas? Australia? I don't know...)

Conversely, I've heard the Stelvios and Contis are fast but more prone to damage than Marathons making them better suited to racing, not touring or general use. If I save five minutes on a century because of a fast tire but spend 5 minutes changing a flat, I'd rather have just had the durable tire to begin with.

EDIT: in fairness to Conti users, I went back and looked at the notes I'd kept. It was "Grand Prix" Contis I'd heard of the problems with, not the Top Touring model. (also, the ones I'd been tracking were 406mm eg: 'bent and folder tires...) Sidewalls wearing out seemed to be the recurring theme.

Last edited by af895; 01-10-06 at 11:16 PM.