View Single Post
Old 01-07-06, 02:48 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WarrenG
Next, "tempo" intervals are done BELOW, or at LT, not above.
Sorry grammatical error on my part, I define intervals as anything above LT (I use 3mm/l). Anything below or at LT is what I would call a tempo or threshold workout. There are so many different ideas out there and we're really talking about different things. That's why I try to define my terms first.

You say that anaerobic intervals are to improve power at LT.
Nope I never said that... If anything, I say it's to improve and lengthen the time you can hold any particular amount of effort or power-output.

Finally, your definition of LT is a bit misleading. You can do some searching/research that will show you that supply of oxygen is rarely a limiter of performance, particularly at intensities near LT. When you go up near your VO2max and beyond then it might be a limiter, but not at LT unless you're ill or trying to split hairs.
I never defined LT, I referred to the 2x20 test to find it. I just said that using HR to indicate LT is not accurate. Let's say we have someone reaching my definition of LT of 3mm/l and they're able to generate a 200w output. They can achieve this LT at 155, 160 or 165bpm depending upon gearing and cadence. Bigger gears/lower-cadences tend to reach LT at lower HR while lower gears/higher-cadences tend to hit LT at higher HR (on the same person). That's why I was saying that HR is only an approximate proxy-indicator of LT.

Cycling performance is always about balancing the muscular system with the cardio. In general, LT is the first limit and is below VO2-max using HR as an indicator.

It is important to understand this definition because it will help you better understand the appropriate training to improve your ability at, or near your LT. I know that folks with a background of training in gyms like to emphasize muscular strength and that's fine, but for improving ability at your LT, muscular strength is a relatively minor component.

For example, pro racers who can produce relatively high power at their LT for long periods tend to be rather weak when tested for muscular strength. Less accomplished racers can see improvements of 10%, or maybe even 30% in the power they can produce at LT as a result of training, but their muscular strength is often unchanged or even lower than it was before the improvement.
In looking at the balance between muscular and aerobic systems, it will be different for a beginning rider vs. a seasoned pro. Ultimate max-power output is the gauge of the muscular system while watts-output at LT or VO2-max may be a better measurement of the balance. Now the max-power will be significantly higher for a racer or pro than an enthusiast. That's the purpose of my assertion for anaerobic intervals, to build and train the muscular system. This is a bigger limitation for beginners than pros, so the training focus must be different.

Increasing muscule strength won't make a big difference in watts-ouput at LT or VO2-max, but it does make a huge impact on stamina and endurance. McEwen or any of the pros that can put out max 1500-watts+ can cruise all day around their LT of 350-400w, or whatever that may be. A beginning rider on the other hand, who can only put out 400w max is not going to have much endurance while pushing out 200w at their LT. It's the percentage of max-power generated at LT that I find anaerobic intervals to be of primary benefit to the beginning riders as they are never really limited by aerobic capacity. By raising their max-power output, they'll be able to maintain LT for much longer periods and get more benefits from tempo workouts (done on some other day). Which then works on the other half of the balance, the aerobic system.

Using HR above LT to monitor intervals doesn't work well because it will steadily increase at steady muscular efforts above LT. You can't say, "Ride 1-minute at 10% above LT, 170bpm" because they'll start out fast and go slower and slower to maintain that same HR. That's why for the beginners, using intensity and time is a simple way to measure anaerobic intervals, you don't even need a HRM. Simple baseline intensity to gauge is an all-out 100% max-sprint effort. Then backing off that to 95%, 90% effort is an easy way to fit it into a timed interval. If you still have some juice after a 1-minute interval at 95% effort, then increase effort to 96%. I define the end of an interval as complete exhaustion where you can go no more (max-HR may actually occur after that). Practicing steady-pacing and managing intensity to time the point of complete exhaustion to coincide with a time-limit is an easy practice for beginners to pick up.

Here's a good article on LT and HIT: Am.J.Physiol - Effects of HIT on lactate and H+
J.AppliedPhysio-Response of VT and LT to continuous and interval training

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-07-06 at 03:18 PM.