View Single Post
Old 01-09-06, 01:45 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I know you're supposed to take a day off now and then to recover, but I don't like them just the same. I'd rather be on the bike.

Would someone please remind me again why I should take time for recovery now and then? I had a somewhat challenging 26 miles today and my legs are sore. I've had a great first week of the year, riding every day and reaching 104 miles or so already. For me, that's a Very Good Week.

So why should I take tomorrow off? Is even a little ten miler that bad for me? I know there will be days when I just can't ride, because of the schedule, or business travel, or torrential rain or something, so why can't I ride all the other days?

Recovery, Shmuvery.
Providing it is just a small ride without too much effort going on the legs, then there should not be any problems. What you should not do is put in in consecutive days riding with hard rides on each day. There is a problem in that muscles could be stressed to the extent that you could be off riding for a little longer than you want.
Then you have the occasions when you are on a 5 day trip- without the preparation to go with it. First day you push yourself, 2nd day push again because it is just a little bit of aching muscles and 3rd day pulled muscle or worse.

Spike Milligan