cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Canuck
I started in early December really paying attention to what I eat. I am a super good eater, very consistent exerciser but since about 45 years old, I have found that I have added about 10 lbs extra. I was always around 155-160 lbs and when I hit 170 I started to feel like hell. Anyway, I got myself onto fitday.com to register my daily calories and monitor my fat intake versus carb/protein intake. I took myself down from 171 to 162.5 lbs (biked like crazy in dam cold Canadian air all month) to get to this point.
Here is what I find disturbing. I weight myself every morning when I get up and if I go out and have any type of an "off night", like 2 glasses of wine and maybe desert after dinner, I will be like 3 lbs heavier the next morning? Knowing that 1 lb is roughly 3,500 calories, how can this be? ...
So, I have learned that totally staying away from booze is critical for me, but still not sure how my weight could fluctuate that much when there is no way I could have posiibly taken in the equivalent amount of calories?
Your thoughts?
This will sound really stoopid, but here goes anyway.

I've gone thru the weight 'fluctuation' thing I don't know how many times in my life. To show how bad it is for me, I have 3 different wardrobe size groups. I freekin hate it.
Anyway, I went from 195-200 down to 175-180ish in 04 and last year finally got back to 160-162ish by June; and experienced the same things you speak of, above.
Over the years I've determined that my body seems to have some 'memory' of what it most recently was, weight -wise. Not sure how else to say it.
After going thru a losing phase, I have to be real careful to not exceed daily calories for at least a month or 5 wks. If I do, I immediately will put weight back on, regardless of the food quality. This is reflected on a daily basis. Something makes my body think it needs to retain EVERYTHING I put in, including water to get 'back' to that prior 'normal' weight. And late in the evening eating of anything assures weight put back on that I then have to suffer to take off again.
After that month 'acclimatization' period or so I can eat 'normal' again and even go on potatoe chip, cookie or other binges and not show any weight gain.
So some nutrition physiologist needs to explain this to me...
Water is retained, but its still important for my weight loss process when I'm in it cause water helps 'fill' me up. I get hungry, I drink some water and the hunger is staved off. Otherwise it does all things it does to facilitate digestion, clean out waste and toxins, stabilize body pH and a zillion other things.
Once at weight for some weeks the daily fluctuations really seem to level off and either don't happen as much or are easily brought back in line the next day.
Its a weird thing

A glass of wine a day is a health thing learned from my Grandfather, i can recommend you get back to it when you can