View Single Post
Old 01-11-06, 01:39 AM
2wheeledsoul
Gatoraid powered engine

Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCI_Brian
Most of the 40 mph to 50 mph roads in my area are like that, but the lanes are 12 feet wide and a bike lane is provided. But there is a one mile section on my commute with three 12 foot lanes in each direction and no bike lanes. I can't honestly say it's the most pleasant part of my commute, but I've never had any major problems from motorists when "taking the lane".

But I do think a key difference between these kinds of roads and true freeways is that motorists expect to have to slow down or stop on occasion for things such as traffic backed up at a light or a stopped bus - unlike a free flowing freeway where you don't have such things.
The boneheads here in Houston ram busses on a fairly regular basis. They ram the light rail trains even more.
Slow down? Heh! It's some doing keeping them from racing down residential streets. Alan can back that up, I think.