View Single Post
Old 01-11-06, 02:39 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Never-the-less, I find an assertive approach almost always works. I hope to include the following exercise in my book, as a way to build the "VC attitude"...

Walk to an uncontrolled (no signal or stop sign) intersection on a busy arterial and stand at the corner waiting for someone to stop to let you cross. In all likelihood, no one will stop. Now put your right foot on the road pavement, face the oncoming traffic, leave the left foot on the sidewalk, raise your right arm straight up and a bit out, with open hand, palm facing the traffic. Someone will most likely stop almost right away. This is an example of "negotiating for the right of way". Once they stop, proceed to walk across the road, repeating the same technique at each lane, as required. Do this 5 or 6 times, preferably at different roads and intersections, until you feel comfortable asserting your right to cross a busy road at an uncontrolled intersection like this. If you can't get comfortable doing this, you'll never get comfortable negotiating with other traffic while cycling.
Surely you jest. Well, I know you well enough to know you are not.
There is no freaking way that one could ever get arterial (7-lane 45mph) traffic to stop at an unmarked x-walk even with all those antics, even one lane at a time. No way.

Al