View Single Post
Old 01-12-06, 11:07 PM
oldcrank

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finished the build of my new, and perhaps last, stallion. Picked up the frameset late last year from a bike shop on Ebay that had it for years. Never built or ridden. Croll was a framebuilder in Minnesota that handcrafted custom frames, and I wanted to try and find an older hand-built frame that was still new and never used. I was very fortunate to do so.

I took a night ride around center city tonight. Fortunately, it's still almost 50 degrees here -- but a winter storm is on the way. So it was now or never. The ride was very light, comfortable and responsive.

All of the parts, except the wheelset used tonight, were NOS. I picked my favorites, mixed and matched, going back close to 20 years. Like the frame, I wanted all parts to be new as well -- which proved time consuming to find.

I still need to decide on a saddle -- but I'm leaning towards a Brooks "swallow" titanium. Brooks also makes fine leather handlebar wrap, so I'll wait to see what saddle finish I get, then match the saddle finish. The saddle and bar wrap will total close to $400 alone, so I want to be sure.

Here's a list of components:

Frame: Croll Reynolds 531-competition, fully lugged
Fork: Croll Reynolds 531
Stem: Cinelli
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: Brooks Swallow Titanium (still need to decide)
Handlebar: Cinelli champion del mondo
Brake Levers: Campagnolo Record Carbon
Brakes: Campagnolo Athena
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record Carbon
Crankset: Campagnolo Chorus 52/39
Pedals: Campagnolo Record Titanium Spindle
Clips: Campagnolo
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Athena Graphite
Dropouts: Breeze
Chain: SRAM PC-68
Wheelset: will vary for what's needed

Photos below taken tonight before heading back in. Not great shots at night with flash, but they'll do.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
croll1c.jpg (81.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
croll2c.jpg (94.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by oldcrank; 01-12-06 at 11:14 PM.