View Single Post
Old 04-11-03, 04:53 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you done any biking in Holland? I've biked a little in Switzerland ... fantastic country! I have never seen such a clean country. The Swiss must pay a fortune in taxes!
i have cycled in Holland, but only a few days and not on tour - i rented a tandem with my girlfriend when i was in Leiden and rode out to the coast.

in the summer i ride all over the Alps - last year was in Switerland for 2 days on my TransAlp trip (expensive!). i love mountains, so Germany/Switzerland/Austria/Italy/France is more my style in Europe.

actually Switzerland is a _funky_ country and is like no other. i think they have the lowest taxes in ALL of Europe while still having a great standard of living - great social care system as well as education and public services (like train and subway/tram service) and military. i've been meaning to find out more, but the income taxes are roughly half of what you pay in Germany (i think Holland is close to Germany), but the cost of living is VERY high (debate between London, Stockholm and Zurich as to the most expensive city) - although if you get paid in Swiss Francs it might not be so bad.

i have considered living in Switzerland and almost moved to Zurich instead of Munich. i'm not sure, as Switzerland is just a different place: not part of the EU, strong LOCAL government, 4 official languages, required military service, requirement that every house/structure has a "military bunker" stocked with guns (there may be exceptions, but that is what i understand - that you have to have functional weapons in your cellar or else get taxed/fined for not fullfilling your citizen obligation)

to me Switzerland seems like a libertarian United States _with_ a social system and public services!

anyway, we've got a few Swiss on this board, maybe someone will provide better info. i think one way the Swiss save so much is other than international business they have very little to do with international politics and issues --- they have a strong military but never USE it to attack/invade anyone, but just to defend themselves if ever need be and/or discourage others from trying. the country i would least want to invade is the Swiss! i think they have more firepower/personnel per capita or per area than even the US or Russia or China (Switzerland is small)