Old 01-14-06, 10:50 AM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find your view to be taking on responsibility as a cyclist. You are seeing a problem and addressing it through your own actions and advocating that others do the same. This is, in my opinion, the best approach. You can control your behavior, you cannot control that of others. In my view, the "advocates" that support CM and riding with the wind are not taking on the responsibility of their own safety. They are trying to influence the behavior of others through negative reenforcement. As we have witnessed, this rarely works with children or dogs, so why should we expect it to work with drivers?

Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Tom,

Which view is which, from your perspective?

In particular, would you consider my promoting vehicular cycling in order to facilitate cycling safety through changes in cyclists' behavior as taking on responsibility, or assigning it?

Technically, I suppose you could say I'm assigning responsibility to the cyclists. But from my own perspective as a cyclist, I take on responsibility for my own safety, and I'm advocating that other cyclists do the same, rather than assigning the responsibility of their safety to non-cyclists (be it to have motorists be assigned the responsibility of looking out for cyclists passing them dangerously on the right in the rightmost lane at an intersection approach, or assigning responsibility to urban planners and the public to build and finance what are believed to be "safe" facilities for cycling).

"It hurts so good..."