View Single Post
Old 01-14-06, 04:22 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I started being car-free because of necessity. When it was time to fly the nest, I had a bike but no car. I was scared, but found it doable.

30 years on, I am car-free once again. The interim has been an oscillating situation of car owning and car free, with the center being the cycling half of a one-car couple. And now with divorce, she got the car, I got the bike.

Having grown up in the golden age of cars, I think I will never get beyond my ambivalance about cars. I love them, but they are also so terrible.

Yet, in times of turmoil, when the chips are down, I always turn to my bicycle first. I know that it will get the job done at the minimal cost. My bike is my friend.

When I am not riding it, I feel so guilty. But I'm glad to have lived to this point. The pre-BMX days seemed so monolithicly racing bikes. I was more of a tourist. I've always been more of a cooperator than competitor.

It seems like bike culture is blossoming. Alt-bikes, flatland BMX, lowrider bikes and other forms are stretching the definition of bicycling, and providing a welcome variety of cycling activities. It's like the hot-rod and cruising scene for cars. You can be proud to be a cyclist these days.

I think the most fun bicycle event this year for me was riding in a parade. What better way to promote cycling. More ways to have fun.