View Single Post
Old 01-15-06, 06:41 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My wife enjoys riding, and I enjoy riding with her. However, the pace and distance are quite different when I ride by myself.

I generally ride my longer and faster rides solo. I have a route of sorts, and there are "regulars" that I see, wave to, and sometimes talk to/with.

Last year I rode a few rides with the owner of the local fitness center where I go. He is nice, but quite competitive and younger, and I am not (neither, actually). There is a local bike club of just a few riders, but as I am still getting back in shape from my year of "heart" I am not up to speed with them, nor do I want to be in a position of holding anyone back.

I really enjoyed leading bike rides last season for our seniors at church. We actually did a 30 mile bike ride one day. But, again, they are slow and I spend a fair amouint of time waiting to get the group together as everyone catches up.

So, I keep doing mostly solo rides. It would take a lot for me to give up the freedom of stopping when and where I want, or of taking a new trail or road when I want, or of saying I am going for 20 miles and ending up going 40 or vice versa. I really treasure my independence.