Old 01-17-06, 12:11 PM
xccx
+++++++++++++++

Bikes: 2 Felt F1X's, Surly Steamroller Fixed / Free, 2007 IF Crown Jewel, 2007 IF Planet X Singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmother
I had some for a few months. Here's what I think:

The good:
-Light
-cool looking
-better in mud than most clipless
-secure once you are in
-lots of float

The Bad
-more fragile than most pedals-a good smack on a rock can bend them easily
-harder to get into than SPD style-no positive click to let you know, and harder to locate the "sweet spot" on the pedal
-bushings are a poor replacement for what should be a roller bearing (many pedals have this shortcoming)
-cleats are brass and wear out quickly compared to SPD style.

The Ugly
-only lasted me a few months before I smacked em on a rock and broke em.

The bottom line-I think egg beaters are OK, but there are better choices for me.
I race with candy's on both my bikes, and I think they are great, but I want to switch to eggs, and here's why...the platform on the candy's allows you to actually "slack off" a bit with your dis/remount technique because, to some degree, you can still pedal while unclipped. Pedaling while unclipped, even for a few strokes after you remount, is not good, and wastes precious energy and time. if you watch the pros, they are clipped in almost immediately upon remounting. Using eggs, which have no platform to speak of, *forces* you to clip in and go. Therefore it forces you to refine your skills so that once you are over the barriers, you can just snap-snap and go. no fumbling around. of course, i would recommend this practice with any pedals, but with eggs its more or less a necessity.

also, i have to disagree with "the bad" from above. i think eggs/candy's are very easy to get into, especially since they allow you to clip in in a number of different ways. also, i always get the "snap," indicating that i am clipped in and ready to go. in my experience, the sweet spot is very easy to find/engage. and the fact that the cleats are brass is a GOOD thing -- especially in cross. true, brass is softer, giving the cleats a potentially shorter lifespan, but always having your cleats/pedals in good shape is absolutely IMPERATIVE for cross.