View Single Post
Old 04-14-03, 08:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The real question to ask is why aren't we seeing the elderly. Why have we locked them up and not included them in our world...
"Elderly"?? Don't get me started on THAT word

Anyway, a lot of older folks (including my brother and sister-in-law) are locked up safely in such retirement communities as Heritage Eagle Bend where you have to be 55 to get in, and go through a radio controlled gate, and they have their own "active senior" activities, all by their lonesome. Totally isolated from the real world with their "gated community," but with a beautiful club house and golf course.

Not for me. I want to be where I can see and associate with a broad range of folks. I love seeing the kiddos out on their bikes, the young married folks having their babies and putting the big stork on their lawn, and, yes, we even have some retired folks in the neighborhood.

We had an opportunity to buy there, but, instead, we chose a fully "integrated" community. And, since we in our mid 60's are by far the most active folks in the entire 350 house neighborhood, it is good for them to see us "elderly folks" (bah, humbug) biking, hiking, weight lifting, etc.