View Single Post
Old 01-21-06, 12:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Do you love food???

Okay, we've talked all around the food thing in other threads so let's just get it front and center and see where this thing goes.

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one, but I really love to eat. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the reasons I ride is to burn more calories so I can take in more calories.

I'm 6 ft 1 in with a "slight to medium" frame. I weighed 155 lbs in High School & left college 4 yrs later around 160-165 lbs. I was fairly active playing basketball and other sports until my early 40's and my weight was around 175-180. The 40's were horribly cruel-by the time I was 47/48 I had hit an all time high of 220 lbs and was very inactive. For some strange reason I started riding and over an 18 mos to 2 year period I had lost 50 lbs. Now my weight is around 170 lbs in the summer but creeps up a few pounds this time of year.

My goal this winter has been to ride enough to keep my weight from ballooning so I don't have to work quite as hard to get the pounds off for the spring/summer cycling season. I'm not obsessed with a lower weight, but I do very much enjoy the benefits when doing rides in the mountains. I've found that even a few pounds can make a big difference in the effort required to keep up with groups or climb those darn hills.

The challenge for me is that I just love to eat. I don't have any real food favorites but certainly anything chocolate gets my attention. Fortunately I've been able to develop routines that help me control the intake but it takes work--even after several years of being more disciplined it takes continued work and discipline.

I knew this was top of mind for me as today I suited up and went out and rode about 40 miles solo in the pouring rain with temps in the 40's--I guess just to burn some calories. It really wasn't all that bad riding in the rain except I kept asking myself what in the heck was I doing out there??

Well, please tell me that I'm not alone when it comes to the food thing-that there are others that enjoy a really good meal as well.