Old 01-22-06, 12:34 PM
jcwitte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand your point about truck masculinity and intentionality, but I still think that it is more likely a tragic accident that could just have easily happened regardless of who the driver was.

In a letter from Bliss' wife, she said, "Bill had taken the lane intending to turn left into the roadside point of interest. He was still moving forward, his feet were both still in the toe clips. The road had a small lip before the gravel surface of the rest area started. I would guess his speed to be about 4-5 miles/hour."

He was on the far left hand side of the road, blind in one eye, moving 4-5mph on a 65mph highway. Whenever I am on a highway traveling at speeds of at least 65mph, the last think I expect to see is a cyclist in the middle of the road. As a cyclist, I can't imagine trying to make a left hand turn on a 65mph road if I can see a car barreling towards me from behind. I'd much rather pull way over to the right and wait for the car to pass. That is why I suspect his eyesight may have been one of the factors which contributed to the accident. Obviously, other factors lie with the driver's carelessness.

Ultimately, I think car drivers need to take more responsibility and understand that when they get behind the wheel of a car, they are operating a possible lethal weapon and need to behave accordingly. If someone gets more than one wreckless driving ticket or multiple speeding tickets in excess of 10mph over the limit, they need to have their license revoked and then be retrained. Happens again, revoked for five years, happens again, permanent.

I also agree that it is common practice to blame the victim. A friend of mine died in a car accident and he was blamed. My Brother's Father in Law died in an accident and he was blamed.