View Single Post
Old 01-25-06, 12:57 AM
neverwrite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toshi
I'm as much of a cynic as the next guy when it comes to chain stores. I design aquariums and deal strictly with locally-owned shops, because I have a very severe (and I guess, hypocritical) prejiduce towards the chains.

I've only dealt with the Performance here in SF, but my experience has been that the people working there are just as concerned about customer satisfaction & quality of work as the local outfits. It literally has the feel of a small store, amidst the backdrop of a cavernous retail floor.

I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I have zero doubt that there are forgettable Performance stores; likewise, I've dealt with a couple forgettable private stores here in the city. It's tough to cast a wide net when it comes to these things.
Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say that the guys at SF perf. are not concerned about customer satisfaction. They are probably more friendly and concerned with customer satisfaction than the guys at American. But as I stated earlier the SF performance on Brannan sold a messenger a brakeless track bike on which the cog and lockring were not tight. I dislike American cyclery, but my dealings with them lead me to believe that this would never happen on a bike that they sold. American is overpriced, but they will not sell you a track bike without tightening down the ****ing cog and lockring.

I stopped by the SF. perf store last fall and bought a tube from some guy who complained that the staf turned over every few months. There may be some guys who have been around and know their stuff, but there are also some clueless rookies.

You are rolling the dice when you take advice or get work done at Perf. If you demand low prices and no bike-snob attitude go to perf. If you require competence go to a reputable local.