Old 04-20-03, 10:08 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Inoplanetyanin
Hello. I have not used either of them, but already I do not want to experiment with a trailer. Here are the reasons:

it brings extra chances of a punctured tires.
Ok I'll grant you that this one is a true fact. But so what if a cyclsit that uses a trailer has to carry one extra tube.

it gets too much attention and probably someone will want to look into it.
Um how and why do you think this is true? How is it any differant then a cyclist using panniers?

the dynamics and handling of the bike will be worse. IMHO.
You're dead wrong on this one. Granted I have never used panniers and never will. But I do know people that have used both. And they have told me that they prefere the trailer versus the panniers because all of the weight is being towed behind them and it is easier to control the bike.

The trailer is something that is hard to make on your own, while bags even in Africa are bags... Cheap and replaceable.
Ok I don't quite understand what you mean by this one. If you are refering to a person building their own trailer, while that is a option most of us can't or don't want to. It is a lot easier and probably more economical for us to buy one instead of build one.

If you are refering to having repairs done on a trailer versus panniers, well I do know for a fact that it is a lot easier to weld steel back together then aluminum. And most trailer frames are made of steel, Chro-Moly to be exact. And pannier frames and racks are made of aluminum.

Plus in the course of a accident steel is a lot stronger then aluminum and will hold up better. Plus the frame of a trailer surrounds what you carry in it. So again in the course of a accident what you are carrying in the trailer has a reduced chance of being ripped to shreds like pannier bags often are.

The advantage of the trailer is probably the capability of carrying more and bigg luggage. It is easy to arrange things nicely...
You actually stated another advantage of trailers over panniers. More cargo space. As far as the type of luggage you carry I really don't know that much about other trailers. But with the B.O.B. Yak the luggage you speak of is a great big yellow and black water proof bag. So there is no need to carry any extra luggage in or on the trailer, at least not when you use a B.O.B. Yak model. I think Burley has a similar design as the B.O.B.

I also know that people use the kid trailers to haul go on self contained trips with. With these you do have to have4 your gear packed in its own luggage. And water proofing can be difficult as well.

But all trailers that I have seen have a lot more room then panniers could ever have.

So, it's an alternitive, but I personally wouldn't use one on my long cross country tour.
Good luck with your either choice.

P.S. Most serious bikes just use panneries. Why?...
I only saw two of them with a trailer... kind of ritch kids..
I'm not rich or wealthy by any means and yet I have and use a trailer. I do not imagine anyone else here that owns trailers are wealthy either.

What is your definition of a serious cyclist? Is that determined by how many miles they ride a year? Or the kind of bike they ride? Or the brand of bike they ride? How can you make a blind statement that anyone who uses a trailer and not panniers is not a serious cyclist?

Finally let me give you some advice on making humble opinions. First you should have some basis to back it up. In this case you don't and you admit that from the beginning. For that I commend you. But you put your foot in your mouth when you went on to make the statements that you did. I can only imagine why. I have no doubt that it will do no good to even ask why. Next time before you give your HO on something have something to back it up.

You may have noticed that I do not give any opinions on panniers. That is because I have never used them and never will. All I know about them is what is the answers other people have given me after I've asked them. So while I do know of other peoples opinons on panniers I can not really form one myself until I use them.

Last edited by N_C; 04-20-03 at 10:13 PM.