Old 01-28-06, 03:28 PM
BigGuy
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! Four years ago I bought my first bike, a Connondale Tourer T800. It has since gone across the continent (N.A.) twice, and seems to be holding up well. The aluminum is a bit stiff, but is very light and strong. A German lab has done some stress tests and puts the Cannondale frame at the top (--it may take a while, but I think I could find the web site if you're interested.)

I've had a couple of complaints: - (I have the largest frame) the rims are just standard touring gague, and the rear one didn't hold up very well for a big guy like me, fully loaded. The front one's ok, but it has considerably less weight.
- I had trouble with the small ring not holding up. The teeth would bend every once in a while, throwing the chain. Took me a while to figure out what the problem was and to learn to tweek it back. I had it replaced with a stronger ring, and have not had a problem.

My complaint rationale was: The largest bike they make will obviously be used by a heavier than average cyclist, so it should have some components that are stronger than regular components. But, overall I have been very pleased with it.