View Single Post
Old 01-28-06, 06:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Awesome day!!! Ride report w/ pics

We were blessed with an absolutely gorgeous day today in NC and I was fortunate enought to be able to take full advantage of it. Sunny skies and the temp hit 60 degrees this afternoon. I'll definitely be putting in some extra dollars in the collection plate tomorrow!

One of my cycling buddies told me about Morrow Mtn State Park which is right about 50 miles from my house by bike. He said it had a nice little climb with decent views at the top and I should try it. There's nothing like the adventure of something new to get me out on the road!

I mapped out the route last night and went to bed really excited about traveling on some new roads and going to a different destination. After 4 years of riding around here I thought I had already ridden everywhere within reason.

When I got up I almost didn't even go. I didn't sleep very well Thursday night and then last night I woke up at 3:30 and just couldn't go back to sleep. I was really dragging this morning. I kept thinking about Gary going out when he didn't feel good and having a blast-and how excited I was the night before about the ride so obviously I decided to make an attempt.

I took it easy going over not knowing what the climb would be like plus not having 100 percent of my energy. I have a total lack of confidence on any climb I haven't done before so I was definitely saving up. I was worried about all the extra weight from with clothes, being tired, etc. (I must be a worrier)

At the base of the climb would you believe the song "Stairway to Heaven" came on the radio station I was listening to!! Perfect timing!! Anyway, I was able to ease up the hill with no issues which was a really nice boost.

For those that like the numbers: The ride turned out to be 102 miles with right at 6000 ft of climbing. I think my ride time was right at 6 hrs 15 mins. The steepest hill I encountered had a grade of 13% -ugh....

Three Take-a-ways from today's ride:
1-I was able to make a mental list of my work experiences that are needed for a position I'm interested in. Now I just have to commit all those thoughts to paper.
2-I discovered a new energy drink--Cherry Coke!! (the bubbly fluid and cherry flavor was so-o-o good!) The caffeine really picked me up and it didn't even upset my stomach.
3-Quit worrying!!

If the 6hrs on the bike today doesn't make me sleep better I'm all out of things to try!!

Enjoy the pics. While they're not the quality of Gary's maybe it will give you a little flavor of the ride. After looking at them I guess my bike is the star of the pictures.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Badin Lake.jpg (33.0 KB, 60 views)
JPPE at top of Morrow Mtn.jpg (55.8 KB, 118 views)
Morrow Mtn Entrance.jpg (63.8 KB, 68 views)
Morrow Mtn Park Sign.jpg (77.1 KB, 89 views)
Top of Morrow Mtn.jpg (64.4 KB, 156 views)