Old 04-22-03, 06:29 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
In addition to the usual reasons for shaving (road rash cleanup and healing, looks, massage, applying sunblock) I learned another reason this spring. Leg grippers don't "grip" on hairy legs. My shorts slide up and down depending on leg motion.

Now back to the original question of how to shave.
The first shave of the season is not a shave. I use Nair to get rid of the hair. I've said before that I look like a walking hairball. No razor could cut through my fur coat.
A few days later (when the hair starts to show) I follow this routine.
I take a warm shower, wash my hair, shave my face (I shave in the shower), and shave my legs last.
I use Kiss My Face shave lotion on my face and legs. You can get it at Whole Foods or any good "health food" type store. Many drug stores also sell it.
Lather up one leg (so the lotion doesn't wash off or dry out on the other leg).
Start with a new Gillette Mach3 razor. I have 2 razors. One for my face, one for my legs. I find that the Mach3 for my legs is good for about 6 shaves.
Then do the other leg.

With my hairy legs I have to shave 2-3 times a week. I rarely cut myself. :thumbup:

The proper technique for the knee area is:
Bend the knee at least as much as when at the top of the pedal stroke. This stretches out the skin so it is smooth and not as "bumpy".
Use care and don't hurry and you'll rarely cut yourself. Cuts are kind of embarrassing on a group ride.

Last edited by RonH; 04-22-03 at 06:39 AM.