View Single Post
Old 01-31-06, 07:08 PM
srrs

Bikes: Vintage Jim Merz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*doctor, please check my temperature, i appear to be just beginning to get over a serious case of newbie gear-lust...* it's so terrifically easy to do after looking around these boards. i'm very glad that i posted this before buying anything.

Originally Posted by Machka
Here are some questions for you .....

-- Have you ever done any sort of tour? Even just an overnight thing, or weekend thing? If not, my suggestion would be to take what you've currently got that you think you might want on a tour, and borrow what you don't have (like a tent and sleeping bag), and go for a weekend somewhere. That way you can find out what sorts of things you might be looking for in equipment. Oh yes ... don't wait around for the nicest weekend either ... go ahead and pick one that looks like it might have some rough weather. That way you'll really be able to discover what is nice to have, and what is necessary to have.
haven't toured, but i've done a lot of camping. i plan on getting the shoes/pedals, saddle, and panniers asap so i can start riding with the bike loaded, even just with deadweight, to get used to it. and as soon as there's time, i'll be doing small tours - hopefully i can fit in an overnight or two, and maybe three or four days during my spring break.
-- How much cycling have you done?
daily commuting for about a year, plus 30-70 mile rides on the weekends once or twice a month (once or twice a week in warmer weather)
-- When is your tour?
starts may 1. pittsburgh to portland.

While I think my B-17 is the greatest saddle in the world, if what you've got works for you, you don't need to change it. However, if you really want to get a B-17, I think it is an excellent choice but be aware that there is often a fairly lengthy break-in period, so you might want to get it ASAP.
it works ok, but I'm definitely pretty achy after 60 miles. i figure it'll be nice for the commute too - but i do see your point. also, i'd been reconsidering the brooks partly because of the rain issue - i don't have to try to protect my body geometry saddle from the rain, and i hear that midwest thunderstorms are common and drenching.

Again, if you want to switch to clipless pedals, you might also want to make that change ASAP so you can get used to them. BTW - I got the cheapest pedals Nashbar had to offer, and some of the cheapest Lake mtn bike shoes Nashbar had to offer ... and I've been very happy with both. I figure, if you've got money to burn, go ahead and agonize over which pedal might be the "best" ... but if you are on a bit of a budget, even the less expensive stuff can be just fine.
i've wanted to go clipless for quite a long time, but for commuting in the winter it's not so feasable for me. it just seems to be so much more efficient! however, my current setup does work quite well.. i'll have to see. and yes - I'll be buying all this asap to try it out.

thanks for your advice so far! It's all just terrifically helpful. There are so many debates around here on what the "best" gear is that it's easy to forget that one can do just fine with decent cheaper gear, especially for a first tour.

Last edited by srrs; 01-31-06 at 07:17 PM.