Old 02-01-06, 10:50 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said keep out.....

Will use this thread to keep a training diary for the 2006 Assault on Mount Mitchell.

Over 3 1/2 months to go. Have registered and gotten the number (19). The decision to attempt it has given my cycling a charge. Have changed my daily ride route to add mileage and include some goodly hills that I previously avoided.

Nowadays, if I charge out of the office right at quitting time (4:30pm), I can get home and get geared up and on the bike in time to do 22 miles before dark... almost.

Gold Mine Road has the best hills around here, and seems like this week I've been seeing more than the usual number of roadies out there. Maybe they're doing the same?

Idea: Raise money from sponsors - and hit some of the vendors I have given lots of business to - and endow a small scholarship to give a graduating senior at SHS a nice check or a laptop for college? Do that every year? Call it something like the AoMM Scholarship. Award it to a kid from an underprivileged background? Would add some nice 'good works' motivation to the ride and give all this a greater purpose than just doing it for the personal satisfaction....

Still somewhat mindful (fearful?) of a BF member's (Dante Severoni?) warning from some weeks ago that his cousin or brother - who sounds younger, fitter, and more experienced than me - has not been the same man since doing Mitchell...

Will hopefully gain a little edge by putting a 12/27 cassette on the Pedal Force (still unnamed) bike that is under construction.... Meanwhile, am training on more hills now and am learning what a weak climber I am...