View Single Post
Old 04-24-03, 04:20 PM
packfodder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info pc...

I'm not Grendel either... but here's my .02.

Now I keep my bike with me overnight. Volunteers watch the bike parking area all night, and, when I did used it several years ago, they matched rider and bike numbers before you could take a bike out. I don't think theft has been a problem.

For me, the second day always seems easier than the first - it is shorter and I know that once I reach the end I'm going home.

I carry the bare minimum - tube, frame pump, patch kit, ID, cash, credit card. I use one water bottle and I carry no food. My theory is why should I carry extra water or food (lots of hills on day 2) when the volunteers have all that stuff waiting for me every 10-15 miles.

I would offer a couple tips. First, line up early and start early. I start before the official start time. That way there are less people on the road, so it is not as crowded and not as dangerous. Second, if you are wiped out after day 1, get a massage. I used to think that massages would not help, but I got one last year and I felt totally freshed for day 2.

Have a safe and fun ride!