Old 02-03-06, 07:20 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
But why not a perfect car?
Now we're talking. Something to consider in the design of cars -- most people live in large cities -- and the most common trips people take are single occupant drives from the suburbs to their office in the city to go to work. Am I the only one who thinks that there is a potential niche market for a different design of a car here? Where are the single-seater cars? It seems to me that your urban office worker doesn't need a tonne of steel to transport themselves and their sorry arse into the office each day. The fuel savings over the course of a year by using a smaller car would be immense. Why does nobody ever think of it?

Continuing on that line -- one thing I note on my ride to work everyday, passing all those gridlocked cars, is that all of them are sitting their with their engines running. Am I the only one who considers this a huge waste? Why don't car engines stop when the car itself stops? It seems to me that if you're going to sit in gridlock for an hour, having the engine running the whole time just wastes more fuel, which in turn costs the driver money and pollutes the air for the rest of us. Considering all the newspaper space devoted to supposedly "innovative" car designs, one wonders why simple things like this are so often overlooked.

That is all.