Old 02-04-06, 04:43 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIARY ENTRY:

Another brilliant day: ~55 degrees, sunny, but windy: probably a steady 15-20mph with gusts that might have been getting up near 30mph?

Great ride, even with some tough uphills through big headwinds. Am riding the Le Champ Team exclusively until the Pedal Force build is done (forks scheduled to ship Monday?), and am getting up the hills well in the Team's 39/21, so am curious how the 36/27 on the Pedal Force will do....

Speaking of the PF build, I've become a weight weenie. Decided to ditch the Moto's BB (sounds like a loose bearing in there?) and buy a new one for the PF. Got a Race Face SRX from the LBS. Feels heavy compared to the BB that came off the Moto. So I spend who knows how long looking up various BBs to compare weights, and was actually seriously considering getting a different BB that will be all of 1-ounce lighter... Snapped out of it and will keep the Race Face... Sigh. And just 10-months ago I was thrilled to be riding a brand-new Trek 1200. Had NO IDEA how much the bike weighed, much less what the BB weighed. (For that matter, didn't know what a BB was...)

Subject change: This area really is a great place to ride. More or less year-round except for the occasional snow/ice event. Some good hills right here, and real mountains not far... And South Carolinians in general and Spartanburg Countians specifically are just plain nice people... Most are kindly willing to share the road...

Was quiet out there today - very little traffic, and no other cyclists in sight. Felt like a Sunday....

On Goldmine Road I keep seeing a sad sight: a great big beautiful black Lab - about 60lbs of puppy - on a short chain in a front yard. Appears to be out there all the time. When I ride by he jumps up and runs around as much as the chain will allow as if he's trying to tell me to take him home. Wish I could - poor thing must be miserable out there....

Speaking of animals, brought the camera to get a picture of Bucephalus. He appears to be thinking about coming over to say hello, but he wouldn't come any closer than this:

Maybe tomorrow I'll bring some apple slices and sugar cubes...