damian_
Arrgghh me hearties!

Bikes: Thorn Brevet, Felt, Europa, plus a million pieces of bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
This is your golden opportunity. How long do you think you should give it before you make your final decision?

(Of course, you never really have to make a "final decision." Any time you want, you can back out and get a car.)
Ahhh... its not a question of time, to me its a question of how many obstacles I need to overcome before I am confident to live car-free.

I need to know I can go to the beach and back, do my shopping, go out, do my own thing, and do it all without a car.

Today I overcame the first hurdle.

I was due to go out with the boys for a round of golf, and then off to the local brewery for lunch + beers. Problem was, this place was up in the hills, about 50km from home. That makes the round-trip a metric century - something I didn't even think was possible 6 months ago!

Well, I got up a little earlier (we were due to meet at 10), plotted my course and headed for the hills. With a slight tailwind, the sun shining and the local vinyards rustling in the breeze I had an incredibly enjoyable trip there. I feel that this was an experience I would have missed entirely going by car. And, although I got plenty of offers for I ride home, I hopped straight back on the bike and enjoyed the return trip just as much.

Perhaps this is nothing new for most car-free folk out there, and I know I can expect worse obstacles than today, but I am excited that I'm on the way to living car-free.

Damian