Old 02-05-06, 02:36 PM
Thrifty1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timonabike
Gary, aka Tightwad too

I think there is too much hype/marketing surrounding cycling today (what pays my bills is marketing: see www.us1marketing.com) I've 'rummaged' through my backpacking and canoe camping gear and bought only what might be of a necessary, lighter weight/smaller dimension addition to my touring gear. You'll notice my steed is not the $1K-$5K variety. I've splurged on a Marmot rain top because hypothermia can wreck your life (saved my uncle john once from exposure during a summer sail, so know how easily this can sneak up ... once the 'drowsy' occurrs you're not far from gone)

How far off the ACA N. Tier are you?

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Tim
Hello Tim,
The ACA Northern Tier riders travel through Minot, ND......I am 30 miles due north of Minot. I have, on several occasions, met with and enjoyed lunch with a few ACA/NT riders. I recently purchased a Marmot Swallow tent per recommendation of an ACA/NT rider......anxiously awaiting an opportunity to try it.
In my experience, the MKS touring pedal doesn't have suficient quantity or quality of bearing grease.....Prior to installation, I disassemble, clean and apply copious amounts of Park Polylube grease. Still silky smooth after many miles, years, and "adverse" conditions. I have never had any problems with feet slipping off the pedal while climbing or any circumstance.
I cannot use use clippless due to residual issues with ankle/foot/leg wounds (Vietnam 1965) and the MKS pedals enable me to reposition my foot as needed for comfort.
Thanks and happy touring,
BCNU
Gary