View Single Post
Old 02-07-06, 08:49 AM
SteelCommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deinonychi
I just built up a CrossCheck a month ago (the frameset was an EXTREMELY cool present from my girlfriend!), so before ordering it I did some research on how they're sized. They definitely size at least one size large. With Surly's, the "center to top" measurement is not from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube, but is from the center of the BB to the point where the centerline of the seat tube intersects a line projected from the top of the top tube. So they come out at last two centimeters less than you'd expect. For me, at 6'0", I normally take a 56cm to a 58cm frame depending on the top tube length; with my CrossCheck, in order to get the right length frame, I had to get a 54cm frame. So for you at 5'11", I'd say take a good look at the lengths of the CrossCheck for the different sizes, and seriously consider a 54cm.

As for the shifters, I used 9s bar end shifters for about a year, and while they were no problem to reach or shift, they did tend to shift "sloppy". My girlfriend's touring bike had the same problem. Try as I might, changing housing and cables and even warrantying one set of shifters, they just couldn't be improved upon. I've worked on other 9s bar end shifters since with the same problem. Both of us have since switched to downtube shifters, and haven't had a problem since. So if you're like me and prefer precise shifting, you might be disappointed with bar end shifters.

By the way, I LOVE my CrossCheck. Commuter, winter road bike, touring bike, there's just nothing that this bike can't do, and do it well.
Even if you account for the different way they measure it, there are several other factors that are important. The BB drop between the axles and the size tires being used can really change the standover. Also, the intended use.

If this was primarily a commuter with tires between 23-30 mm, I'd get a different size then a trail/cross bike with fat 35-45 mm tires.

Your bar-end shifters were "sloppy"? Do you mean integrated shifters (STI/Ergo)? My bar-end shifters and downtube shifters have hardly any difference in shifting. If you really mean bar-end/barcon, then they were definitely not set-up correctly. That's not a dig at ya, it's just that it is a very simple shifting system that works on the same principle as DT shifters. The only difference is more cable, which with barend friction shifting has no impact.

There is no meaningful difference in shifting performance between the two that I've ever observed. There is, on the other hand, more maintenance involved for integrated brifters to operate optimally.

Your bike sounds great, and so does your girlfriend. Lucky guy.