Old 02-08-06, 10:29 AM
1000 oaks

Bikes: Gary Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafLamb
I am taking a research writing course this semester and I am writing a paper on bicycle commuting. My instructor says I need expert voices in my paper, so I figured you guys where the experts. I mean where else am I going to find experts on bicycle commuting

Basically I'm just going to write down a few questions, answer whatever you like. Here is the catch though. In order to use it in my paper I need your real name, and where you live. Not your address or anything I, just need to be able to quote you accurately in my paper.

For example if I was going to use something I would say I would write it like this:

Ray Tiley from Ocean Township, New Jersey says "Just the financial benefit of not having to pay for car insurance makes bicycle commuting way more practical for me than owning a car."

Thats why I need your name and location. Thanks for helping.

Here are some questions, feel free to mention anything else also.
1. Why do you commute by bicycle?
- It's my primary form of exercise.
- It's more fun than driving.
- It's cheaper than driving.
2. How many miles a week do you commute?
70-120, depending on the routes I take and the errands I run. Another 50 recreationally on the weekends.
3. What are some ways bicycle commuting has impacted your life?
- Lost weight (30#) and waist sizes (from 42 to 34). Much better health.
- More energy at work
- More in touch with nature, neighborhood by not being in a steel box
- Less expense
4. What do you do in bad weather?
Ride! I like playing in puddles. I change clothes when I get to work anyway. I live in SoCal, so the weather is never that bad anyway. But sometimes I envy those in colder climes - I like a challenge.
5. How are you treated my motorists?
Not badly, with the occasional idiot. Big improvement when I started to follow VC guidelines for lane positioning and traffic negotiation.
Basically the point of my paper, or thesis if you will is that bicycle commuting is practical for a large majority of motorists and that by adopting a more cycle focused transportation system many societal concerns such as pollution, health, and financial struggle can be helped.

Thanks again.