Old 02-08-06, 11:27 AM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll PM you with my name. I like the relative anonymity of the forums.

1. Why do you commute by bicycle?
I started commuting over eight years ago when we only had one car and my wife needed it most days. It was purely financial at first, but I began to like the exercise, and being able to say hello to neighbors as I slowly rode by. It may seem ridiculous, but it made me feel more connected to the community.

2. How many miles a week do you commute?
Now, generally between 12 and 16 miles. I have a short 3+ mile round trip and usually do 4 or 5 days a week. When I had a 9 mile round trip, I rode much less (maybe 1 or 2 times/week). I ride at lunch and on weekends in spring/summer/fall and usually average a total of just over 100 miles/week.

3. What are some ways bicycle commuting has impacted your life?
I'm obsessed so I spend a lot of time on the computer researching bike related stuff. My legs look really good. My kids think I'm cool (they're young). I get a lot more exercise than I used to. It has also given me confidence that I can achieve things like riding 100k's and the like. I also feel more counter-culture than I did before which is fun. I can also adapt better to extreme weather now. I don't get too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. My body seems to regulate better now.

4. What do you do in bad weather?
We have 2 cars now. If it's cold, I'll ride the bike. If it's raining, I'll ride the bike. If it's cold AND raining or snowing, I drive. It's such a short commute that it really doesn't matter what I do. I tend to like all weather generally. It's just that I think some weather is better suited to biking than other.

5. How are you treated my motorists?
Generally fine. For every 30 cars that gracefully pass me leaving plenty of room, there is one that either cuts me off, passes too close or otherwise shows impatience. I've had one real close call, but never an accident with a vehicle. Half of my ride is on a path anyway, and the other half is straight through downtown where traffic isn't moving all that fast anyway. I do obey all traffic rules.