greenbreezer
Go hula

Bikes: McMahon Ti hardtail, Breezer Storm commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pleasant treatment at the supermarket

I remember reading a thread about how rudely someone was treated when he walked his bike into a store because he forgot to bring a lock. I never have a lock with me because my bike is parked in my office and then in the garage once I'm home. But yesterday I wanted to stop at the supermarket to buy a tub of yogurt. There's a certain brand I need and the only store that sells it is several miles from home and since I literally ride past it every day, I felt silly riding all the way home then getting in the car to drive back just for a yogurt. So I figured the worst that can happen is they'd throw me out and I'd just come back later in a car (but not before I bicker with them about emissions, gas prices, etc. )

Keep in mind this was around 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon so the store is not crowded at all so I was hoping that would work in my favor. I braced myself for a confrontation, but instead was warmly greeted by their deli guy. I walked down an aisle to the back of the store, got my yogurt and turned to go to the check-out. No one was waiting in line so I pushed my bike ahead of me to fit past the register. The gal rang me up and said, "I wish I was on my bike today.... enjoy your ride." The store manager just so happen to walk by, stopped to bag my yogurt and said, "Ride safely... people lose all sense of driving skills in a parking lot," and he went to jabber about people on phones, eating, yelling at their kids, etc. Funny, they do that on the roads, too.

So I was very pleased about the experience and wanted to share with all of you. I always go to that store whenever I'm low on yogurt, but I'll probably go there more often because they were so bike-friendly to me, even though there are other supermarkets closer to where I live.