View Single Post
Old 02-12-06, 07:52 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been geocaching since about 2 months after the geocaching website went up. However many years that is, I don't know, it was within a year after Clinton signed the order to turn off S.A.

It's a fun way to get the kids out into the woods. For some reason just walking around isn't good enough for them, having a treasure hunt makes it worth their time.

I don't think I'd ever do it on a bike though. I have been out in the woods a couple of times on a bike, and for me it's just not much fun. I'd much rather walk than ride, unless for some reason I had a lot of ground that I had to cover.

IMHO people riding a bike through the woods instead of walking miss probably more than people driving a car down the road instead of cycling. 90+% of the fun of going into the woods is poking things with sticks, finding cool plants and bugs, seeing wildlife, exploring neat and different things. Cyclists in the woods seem to go in just to see how fast they can get back out again. Plus, no matter what they say, I've seen firsthand that cyclists tear the living crap out of trails, to the point where many of the previous best trails on private lands that I know of have were closed off by their owners within 2 years of mountain bikers becoming prevalent, due to more erosion in a year than 2 decades of foot traffic.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 02-12-06 at 07:58 PM.