Old 02-13-06, 02:25 PM
johnfhess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xootr Swift 1st impressions, questions

Hi all,

Thanks to comments read here, I just purchased, and received last week, A Swift folder. I've ridden it maybe 20 miles and can report I'm pretty satisfied, but don't have much to compare it to. No one around has anything to compare it to.

Out of the box, the headset was too tight, I fixed that easily. The quick release skewer (front wheel installation) was a very tight fit in the axle. I had to twist/thread it to get it through. The front wheel (sealed bearing seal) did squeek, but after about 10 miles it went away. It also was very quiet at higher speeds (15? or so, no speedo), which was an incentive to push harder. The rear chain/derailer is noisier than I like and I found that moving the wheel back required adjustment of the brakes. I moved the wheel back about 3/8 inch and I think (highly subjective) this position is quieter. Any ideas/ comments about getting this position to be as quiet as possible?

To do: change saddles, don't like the stock saddle, too wide (my thighs rub), too cushy, my sit bones aren't supported.
To investigate: 1) changing stem to longer one, possibly with a rise in it. 2) convert to single speed using spacers and single cog on stock hub (for now). 3) Bar ends. Have had straight bars on bikes before and really like bars ends. 4) Moustache bars? I have wanted to try M-bars and have one in the garage, so maybe on the Swift. 5) Changing tires? A friend recommended hostelshoppe.com and they do list a large number of 406 mm tires. 6) suspension seat post.

comments, advice, welcome, thanks, John.

PS. do folks use the read confirmation feature when sending a message to another list member? Is it generally used or generally not used, or varies from person to person?