Thread: Look KG 241
View Single Post
Old 02-18-06, 01:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Oh yeah, Stapfam - I live 80 miles from the Healdsburg and the Alexander Valley. I ride my bike though there a couple of times a year. Napa Valley is closer. Sonoma Valley about the same distance. My cousin has a vinyard in the central valley that makes a pretty good Zin. A bike ride through the Napa Valley can take you to the Sattui Winery. Sattui in my opinion is one of the finest I've ever been to. Though I'm definitely not a wine critic.

I like a moderately long ride followed by making a good salad and cooking up a pot of pasta. Throw a bottle of Chianti on the table and some barrel glasses and I'm in heaven.

Cot du Rhone is nice but it's not the Alexander Valley.......
One thing about the new world wines is that they are consistent. A 5 year old merlot this year will be the same quality as a 5 year old merlot in 10 years time. But I was taught to appreciate wine when I lived in France. If my customers wanted a special favour- or a cheaper bill- they used to come round in the evening with a bottle of wine for me to experience. Working in France was fantastic, but I can't remember too much of the evenings- Too many customers.
Incidentally I have just started to look at French Bike Clubs in the North of France- hopefully to be able to get a few rides in over there. Have earmarked a couple of 140Km randonees for later in the year so I can see what sort of bikes they are riding . From what I can remember of the terrain, the rides may not be too tasking but am looking forward to the ambience of the French.

Spike Milligan