View Single Post
Old 02-22-06, 10:06 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The other day I happened to be checking out an 05 Cannondale T800 that is being sold at a discount at one of the local REI stores. It is a nice bike and I was giving it some consideration. However, I was looking at the fork and noticed no markings on it, so when I reviewed the specs on the Cannondale site, I noticed an oddity. The fork in 04, and all prior years is listed as "Tig-welded Cro-moly, 1 1/8". In 05, it is listed as "High strength steel, 1 1/8". For this year's model (06) it is again listed as "Tig-welded Cro-moly". Hmmm....

So I called Cannondale customer service and asked them what the fork material was in 05, and she said her component lists show it as "High-tensile steel". Well, last time I saw that description it was being used for the frame material on a department store bike. Hard to tell from looking at it, but is it possible they used a less expensive (and heavier) steel than than Cro-moly on the T800 fork last year? I don't want to think so, considering the quality of the frame and the rest of the bike, but I wouldn't buy it if that were the case. Does anyone know? Does it even matter?

Last edited by mtnroads; 02-22-06 at 11:39 PM.