Thread: Sad Story
View Single Post
Old 02-23-06, 08:38 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My problem was stuck pedals.

I agree with the bolt extractor. That would be the best method.

To have stripped the inside of an allen bolt, either the tool was bad, or the wrong size tool was used. Once the inside is rounded, it's going to be a pain to get it out without an extractor.

My trick for picky crank bolts/pedals is to remove the seatpost, put the wrench in the desired spot....in your case an allen key with a thin pipe over it for leverage, and while standing over the frame, legs bracing it....push in the proper direction with all you got.

For pedals, you need a shorter second pedal wrench wrench (I have a cheapo I got from performance bike for that task) to keep one crank pushing against the ground. In your case you might want to do that as well, just to add to leverage.

You don't need air tools on a bike, ever. actually I would refrain for power tools at all for bolts or nuts of any variety on a bike. Not so much about curmudegeonery as much as it is about the low torque levels required for these parts. I suck at upper body strength, and I still overtorque stuff.

As a final resort, maybe supergluing a nut to the bolt and using a hex wrench might do it for you. Just be careful to not superglue it to the cranks!

Good luck!