View Single Post
Old 02-23-06, 11:55 AM
CafeRacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to give ya advice or tips. If I had any haha. I was supprised to see how well it worked out not only on my wheels but my buddies.

I used a good strenth safety wire that would wrap up tight. Leave about an inch or so sticking out and tightly wrap and buch together the loops. I did 5 loops. On the last loop twist it with the extra one inch you left. Then with plyers tighten it all together by twisting as close to the wraped part. Be carfull you dont break it. You will break a few. Neatly cut the extra off and fold the "knot" against the wraps.

As for the soldering I used a good flux and alot of it. Be sure to get it in between the spokes and loops. I used "electronicss" guage solder. It melts faster than the flux burns off. I also used a low heat torch instead of a iron. You dont need much either. Just enough to "absorb" into the wire and hold it together. Plus if you have alot hanging off it looks like junk.

When your done, let it cool and then do a really good job with soap and water cleaning the spokes and ties off. They will look burnt at first but it cleans up nicly.

I hope that helps. I basicly taught myself on my own wheels. And if you ask me, was well worth the hour and a half it took to get it right. Plus now it earns me a little cash on the side. I tried to take some pics but all I have is a ****ty camera phone, poor detail. Good luck!

JS