View Single Post
Old 02-24-06, 06:04 PM
mcoine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fore
As a mechanic who is making this his life's work, I advise you to leave the industry. It's an attitude like that that gives the rest of us a bad name and is what creates the sort of customer you're describing. I'm hesitant to even refer to you as a mechanic, because that'd be putting you in the same group as me and I want nothing to do with that.

I don't work in a shop anymore (more on that in a second) but when I did I treated every single bike as if it were my own. From $6000+ Dura-Ace/Record equipped road bikes to $69.99 Wal-Mart specials. My purpose for being there was to make the bike work and make the customer happy, and that's what I did, every time.

These days I'm a factory mechanic for a major bike manufacturer and I although I don't have any direct contact with the consumer anymore I still put the same amount of pride into every bike I lay my hands on; whether it be a 16" kids bike that somehow found it's way to my workbench or a prototype downhill bike that only a handful of people on the planet have ever seen.

You're not a mechanic. You're a kid* that got a job at a shop to buy parts cheap that wound up having to turn wrenches. You don't enjoy what you do so you do a poor job at it and you get angry when people call you out on it. You put no pride in your work and it shows.

* I don't know how old you are, and I must admit I'm only 23, but your attitude and writing style don't say much for your maturity.
This about sums it up.